Monday, December 15, 2008

Jackson's Scare

Well here we are after a real scary weekend with Jackson. For those of you who don't know - Jackson came home from school on Friday and had to go straight to the potty. All of a sudden, I hear "Mom, Mom, it's spraying red!". I ran to the bathroom as quickly as my legs would carry me. Very frightened, I see blood. I was terrified and Jackson thought it was really cool! I immediately raced to the pediatrician's office with all three kiddos in tow. Dr. Phillip took two urine test and both showed high levels of blood in his urine. The test for a urinary tract infection was negative - so we had to look at other possibilities. She checked his blood pressure and that was good - she was concerned about possible kidney failure. After spending a couple of hours in the doctor's office, Dr. Phillip thought it was safe for us to go home for the night. As my pediatrician, I had to trust her. All the while, I was praying for God to give her wisdom on what we should do next. She had scheduled Jackson for an ultrasound for today (Monday), and she sent us to have labs drawn on Saturday morning. After returning home from the lab on Saturday, the amount of blood was quickly increasing. Meanwhile, Jackson is not having any pain or discomfort. I called Dr. Phillip looking for more answers. She sent us directly to Cook Children's ER. Jason was at work and nowhere to be found. I dropped Jase at Christy's. Gracie, Jackson and I headed to the hospital. When we got to the hospital, they immediately took us back and began running some test. The ER Dr. was very nice, but he told me we could be looking at a blockage, a kidney stone, or a tumor on his little kidney. Wow! My mind was going 90 miles an hour - all the while trying to keep by composure for Jackson. Jason made it to the hospital as soon as he got the word from the plant security guard. I had so many people praying for us - I could honestly feel their prayers. God had given us the peace that passes all understanding. Several test and several hours later - we finally got some good news. His kidneys were normal! Thank you Lord! The lining of his bladder was very thick and that indicated that he had a viral infection in the lining of his bladder. The ER Dr. said that he was going to be okay. The infection could take 4 to 6 weeks to completely heal. So blood is something that we might see for a while. Jackson will see Dr. Phillip on Wednesday to have another urine test. If there are still visible amounts of blood in a few weeks - we will see an Urologist. Jackson is doing fine. Thanks for all of your prayers! Jason and I could really feel them on Saturday! Please continue to keep Jackson in your prayers. Thanks Again!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh Jenn! I had no idea all of that was going on! I am so sorry, but glad to hear that they found the cause and he's on his way to a full recovery! And I'm so thankful he never felt a thing!